Thursday, March 10, 2005

my website goes live

I just finished reviewing my business website. The developer had some difficulty with both of the WordPress themes we attempted to use. I was more interested in going live then I was having him spend time wrestling with someone elses code. He ended up using the default Kubrik with sidebar theme available in WordPress (WP) while spicing it up a bit. There are several static pages so that it has a traditional website look rather then a basic blog but the key to the model is using WP as my content management tool. It took me a couple of hours this evening to get basic content loaded on the index page since I misunderstood the notes I had taken during an administrative training session we held earlier this week but I'm up!

Additional good news is that I was able to answer a couple of questions on my own by spending some time on the site. I was able to interpret his CSS code related to the titlebar he created that offers single click navigation to each of the static pages we established. I also identified the related code that offers the same capability from the sidebar. It took a few iterations to get it straightened out but I believe I understand the key components. He created a few other categories (Case Studies, Recent Clients, Vendors) accessible via the sidebar that I can populate using the blogging post model but I still need to sort out how he did that since I anticipate it will change.

I also want to drive a traditional blog model although I don't want to use the index page for that. The categories he created will help archive the information but I don't see/understand where the regular posts will be displayed. I need to talk to him about that as well as beginning the effort to publicize my business via Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It turns out that I rank #1 on Yahoo when you enter Rising Stream. I can only assume is due to the registration I submitted some months ago. I don't show up at all on Google (I gave up after 15 pages) so I can only go up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home