Wednesday, March 09, 2005

email accounts, Outlook & SBC

Well, I've been struggling to get an email account set up using my new business domain and host. Actually, that part went pretty easily. It was getting the account set up in Outlook that was the real struggle. Fortunately once I went to the Dreamhost.com knowledgebase I discovered that my problem was tied to my SBC DSL account. Turns out that SBC no longer supports Port 25 for SMTP mail but by making a change to Port 587 in the Advanced set up tab, I am now able to send and receive my business domain mail via SBC.

I don't know the issues associated with why SBC no longer supports Port 25. The reason we care as users is that unfortunately that is the default setting in Outlook. Based upon a posting from a Dreamhost.com customer who also works as a NetAdmin for one of the RBOC's (think SBC, Verizon, etc.) the value equation is that Dreamhost.com is supporting an open standard in allowing me to use Port 587.

I'm a Microsoft Registered Partner and I have benefited greatly by being a stock holder as well as a user over the years. I'm also learning about open source this year by using BlogPress, MySQL and PHP for my other websites. Open Source 1, RBOC 0 is the score right now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home